Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thing 11: Instant Messaging Redux

In my life away from the library, I am taking over our orchestra web page (again). Matt is no longer able to play with us due to a concert day change so I get the web page back. Matt created his version of the webpages on his Mac using iWeb software.

Mac offers this very cool version of chat or instant messaging and since Matt and I are both using Macs we can take advantage of it. We had to transfer the files from his mobileme space to mine. To transfer a file is incredibly easy--you just drop the file into the conversation box and voila! its now on my computer. This is a really cool way to transfer files that are too large to email. Since I do desktop publishing, I get alot of those. Through it he can also take over my computer should I really screw something up.

Mac uses the aol AIM software but in addition can connect with Jabber and Google talk. You can do audio conversations and video chats.

Could be useful. I think I will get my grandson to chat with me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment