Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing 11: Instant Messaging

I do not like it, Sam I am. I not like IM. With apologies to Dr. Seuss.

I tried instant messaging almost 15 years ago with my brother. I found it frustrating because my brain works much fast than my fingers and I was always wanting to jump ahead of my typing. I also did it with my friends brother when he as home. At that time, the service came under fire for security issues so we quit using it. At that time I did get a few people whom I did not know asking to chat with me.

My plan is to revisit this task a bit later when I can talk some of the other staff who are doing this project to have a chat session and then disable me account.

For me, this is another service that seems to be better implemented in other packages. You can chat in Facebook. Texting on cell phones. I have read about libraries using texting in reference work from patrons who are actually in the library. Seems strange to me.

More later. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment